Build the Social Media Following of a Rock Star
If you want additional sales reach and/or to be seen as person of influence in your market, then building a social media following is the way to go. But don’t underestimate the amount of time and effort it takes to generate the content needed to build the following of a rock star! Social media is a very fast paced environment and content goes stale very quickly. So be prepared to work at it.
You’ll need to choose your social media channels wisely, for certain types of business, energy and effort spent on LinkedIn will bring far better rewards than Facebook – this is particularly true for professional services. Trying to be all things to all people can be exhausting and probably won’t be worth the effort – so give some thought to who your ideal customer is and then think about the sort of social media they are likely to be spending their time with. As with most things digital marketing, if you don’t have the six figure budgets of the big boys, aim at small tightly focused niches – you’ll definitely get more for your effort.
Facebook, Instragram and Twitter/X have their own version of Google’s AdWords. LinkedIn do ‘sponsored posts’ as Pinterest who have ‘sponsored pins’. The rules of thumb that hold true for advertising using Google, also hold true for advertising on social media.
Savvy use of video and other content types (infographics, audio, webinars etc.) is essential to building you a social media following – maybe not of a rock star – but certainly of someone of influence in your market. You may even hit lucky and have a video that goes viral on YouTube or Tik Tok, but even if you don’t, engaging customers beyond the more ‘traditional’ text-based methods of email and websites has become essential to the ‘fully rounded’ digital marketing strategy.
Measuring the success of social media campaigns also brings a whole new set of things to think about. There are various tools to help you monitor not only your likes, but also if there are people out there saying things about you that you’d rather they didn’t. On the down side of social media, people are free to say pretty much what they like. We can help you manage your reputation by picking up on things before they get out of hand – and help you deal with any trolls that may be lurking.
Actionable Steps for Building Your Social Media Following
Identify Your Primary Social Media Channels:
- Research where your target audience spends their time. For B2B businesses, LinkedIn might be more beneficial, whereas consumer-focused brands may find more engagement on Instagram or Twitter/X.
- Focus your efforts on 2-3 platforms to start with, ensuring you can manage them effectively without spreading yourself too thin.
Develop a Content Strategy:
- Plan your content in advance, aiming for a mix that includes videos, infographics, webinars, and audio content alongside traditional text posts.
- Use content calendars to schedule your posts for consistency. Remember, the key to building a following is regular, engaging content that adds value to your audience.
Leverage Paid Advertising Wisely:
- Experiment with the advertising options available on your chosen platforms, such as Facebook Ads, LinkedIn Sponsored Posts, or Pinterest Sponsored Pins, to boost your visibility.
- Start with small budgets, targeting your ads very specifically to your ideal customer demographic to maximise return on investment.
Engage with Your Audience:
- Respond to comments, messages, and mentions in a timely manner to build a community around your brand.
- Encourage user-generated content and interactions by asking questions, running polls, or hosting competitions.
Use Video Content Creatively:
- Create engaging video content that highlights your expertise, showcases your products, or tells your brand’s story.
- Experiment with live videos, tutorials, and behind-the-scenes glimpses to add a personal touch.
Monitor Your Social Media Performance:
- Utilise tools like Google Analytics, Hootsuite, or Sprout Social to track the performance of your posts and ads.
- Pay attention to metrics such as engagement rates, click-through rates, and conversion rates to understand what works best for your audience.
Manage Your Online Reputation:
- Set up alerts (e.g., Google Alerts) for your brand name to monitor mentions across the web.
- Develop a plan for responding to negative comments or reviews constructively and proactively.
Continuously Learn and Adapt:
- Stay updated with the latest social media trends and platform updates to keep your content fresh and engaging.
- Be prepared to pivot your strategy based on what the data tells you about your audience’s preferences and behaviours.
Collaborate with Influencers:
- Identify influencers in your niche who share your target audience and explore opportunities for collaboration to expand your reach.
Invest Time and Effort:
- Acknowledge that building a significant social media presence requires time and dedication. Set realistic goals and celebrate small wins along the way.
By implementing these actionable steps, you’ll be on your way to building a strong social media presence that not only enhances your brand’s visibility but also establishes you as a person of influence in your market. Remember, consistency is key, and while the journey may be challenging, the potential rewards in terms of engagement and customer loyalty are immense.